Live Tonight: The 2012 Americana Music Association Awards
When the Americana Music Association convenes in Nashville on Sept. 12-15 for its annual conference, it'll be met by another incredible year of festival performances and showcases. While the daytime panels and discussions reflect the organization's dedication to its mission, the nighttime showcases, parties and concerts are what will make the passion of the genre so difficult to ignore. This year, the AMA welcomes legends — Bonnie Raitt, Richard Thompson, Booker T. Jones, Rodney Crowell, John Hiatt — as well as a slew of fresh young talent. That pool includes rising stars like Sara Watkins, Eilen Jewell, Corb Lund and Kasey Chambers, as well as AMA newbies like Brandi Carlile, The Dunwells, John Fullbright and many more.
NPR Music's Ann Powers and Folk Alley's Jessie Scott hosted the live broadcast of the annual awards ceremony honoring the best Americana and folk music of the year. Listen to it here in its entirety.
- Instrumentalist of the Year - Dave Rawlings
- Song of the Year – "Alabama Pines" by Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
- Album of the Year - This One's For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark (Various Artists)
- Duo/Group of the Year – The Civil Wars
- New/Emerging Artist of the Year – Alabama Shakes
- Artist of the Year - Gillian Welch