Texas Tech University System Chancellor Kent Hance today (August 22) named a search committee to assist in selecting the next president of Texas Tech University.
“This is an outstanding group of individuals,” Hance said. “I am confident this group will help me identify the qualities of leadership needed by our next president to continue the current momentum at Texas Tech.”
The ten-member committee is chaired by Jerry E. Turner, chairman of the Board of Regents and a 1968 graduate of Texas Tech.
“We are determined to assist the chancellor in finding the most qualified candidate for this position,” Turner said. “Our university is expanding, and its greatest days lie ahead. We aim to identify candidates who are qualified and ready to guide Texas Tech toward its goal of greater national recognition as a teaching and research institution.”
The committee will help identify potential candidates, assist with initial screenings and ensure that their respective constituency groups are kept up-to-date on the progress of the search. Candidate recommendations will be forwarded on to the chancellor. The final selection will be made by the chancellor, who will make the appointment with the prior approval of the Board of Regents.
Members of the search committee include:
· Jerry Turner, chairman, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System
· Larry Anders,member,Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System
· Bob Baker, Ph.D. Horn Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, College of Arts & Sciences, Texas Tech University
· Michael Galyean, Ph.D. Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University
· Linda Hoover, Ph.D. Dean, College of Human Sciences, Texas Tech University
· Debbie Montford, member,Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System, community volunteer
· Vickie Sutton, J.D., Ph.D. Horn Professor, School of Law, Texas Tech University
· Robert Taylor, CEO, United Supermarkets and a Texas Tech University alumnus
· John Walker, member,Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System
· Ed Whitacre, Texas Tech University alumnus and former corporate executive
There will also be six non-voting members of the committee. Non-voting members will include the following individuals:
· Alex Alston, president, Texas Tech Student Government Association
· Kyle Clark, Chief Financial Officer and Vice President for Administration & Finance, Texas Tech University
· Grace Hernandez, president’s Chief of Staff and Associate Vice President for Administration, Texas Tech University
· Kirby Hocutt, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, Texas Tech University
· Michael Molina, Vice Chancellor for Facilities Planning & Construction, Texas Tech University System
· Joseph C. Rallo, Ph.D. Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, Texas Tech University System
Dr. Lawrence Schovanec, who has served as dean of the College of Arts & Sciences since 2010, was recently named interim president by the chancellor and will assume the duties of president until a replacement is named. AGB Search has been retained to assist with the search committee.